Friday, May 22, 2015

Memorial Day | Hydrangea Cupcakes

It is the start of Memorial Day weekend!  I am so happy for this weekend and holiday.  In my mind, despite what the calendar says, it marks the beginning of summer...bbqs, warm weather, eating outside, evening walks, enjoying summer drinks on the deck and patriotic colors.

To get into the spirit of the weekend, I have a quick and easy dessert that will be sure to impress your guests.  This dessert was inspired by my own beautiful hydrangeas that are growing right now and producing gorgeous blue hued blooms.

These cupcakes are not only perfect for a Memorial Day picnic, but also for 4th of July party, a summer bbq, bridal or baby shower.  They are easy to make because they require little ingredients and time, yet by the looks of this delicate cupcake, people will think you spent hours!






hydrangea cupcakes
1 box mix (follow directions on box)
homemade butter cream frosting
blue & red food coloring gel (I used Wilton)
cupcake liners


I first made the cupcakes by following the directions on the box.  To be festive, I used a patriotic mix.  While the cupcakes baked and cooled, I assembled the butter cream frosting in my KitchenAid mixer. 


To make the frosting, I made blue first by adding blue gel food coloring a little at a time.  Remember, add a little at a time because it is easier to add then take away!  Once I had the desired blue, I put half of it in a bowl and used the other half to make light purple.  I added tiny drops of red gel to get my desired color.  








Cake mix and white cupcake liners, festive!


Classic homemade butter cream frosting (recipe coming soon) and before the gel food coloring.


The frosting all ready to go.  I gently folded the blue frosting with the purple to give me the streaked look in the piping bag.  


Disposable piping bag with the giant star tip.  I used the largest stat tip I had in my baking supplies.


Beginning the frosting process.  When frosting, you want the cupcake top to by full of "flowers."  Make sure to pipe the frosting and fill in all spots.  The more full, the better looking the cupcake.





Happy Memorial Day weekend and happy baking!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is a joy to hear from you. What are your thoughts?