Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Holiday Meal Leftovers | Traditions

Tomorrow is the big day!  Thanksgiving is here!  I am sure that everyone is busy in the kitchen cooking and baking or busy cleaning in anticipation of a houseful of guests.  This year we will be celebrating with my parents.  I am in charge of making the desserts, as my mom will prepare everything else.  This year she is trying her hand at homemade rolls and I can't wait to see how they turn out.  I will be making pumpkin pie and toll house pie (which I will share the recipe...someday!)

Over the weekend we had a small get together that we dubbed "Friendsgiving."  It was potluck style and just so much fun.  It was easy entertaining as I kept the food simple.  Some people brought a Thanksgiving style dish or a dessert.  Our children played and the adults sat and talked.  It was wonderful.  I wanted everyone to be able to have the option to take leftovers home, but wanted the leftovers to look appealing.  I did not want to wrap up leftover turkey in aluminum foil or put leftover scalloped corn in an old plastic butter tub!
  



I found these kraft "take out" boxes at Michael's craft store.  The labels I designed myself, based off of the Thanksgiving place cards I made, seen here in my table setting post.


I printed the labels off on whole sheet label paper then cut to the size I wanted.  It was very simple and took only a few minutes to make and assemble.  I left space on the label so a name could be added, for easy identification in the fridge!


I like the idea of providing a "cute" container for leftovers.  It makes the leftovers seem ever more special.  After each guest filled their boxes, I tied them with twine, to add extra character (and to make sure the top was secure...I did not want anyone losing any of the food!)



I truly enjoy Thanksgiving and am looking forward to tomorrow.  I love this holiday and all that it stands for-family, traditions and blessings.  I love getting up early with the children to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade-making numerous phone calls to my mom to tell her to watch the parade, even though I know she is busy cooking.  We will have our wonderful dinner around mid-day and then relax, with dessert later in the day.  In the evening, when it is dark, we turn on our outdoor Christmas lights and window candles to celebrate the beginning of the Christmas holiday. 

Happy Thanksgiving and have a wonderful day with your family and friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is a joy to hear from you. What are your thoughts?