Thursday, October 23, 2014

Holiday Entertaining | Cheese Board

I do not mean to push Halloween away, but it is never too early to start thinking about the holidays!  Over the summer I created a cheese board that I served during cocktails when we had people staying with us.  It was very simple and everyone enjoyed sampling different cheeses and crackers.  It was very "summery" with strawberries and other summer fruits, as well as some nuts and meats.

I decided that I wanted to revamp the cheese board and have it be more "harvest" friendly for Thanksgiving.  I will probably change it around a bit for Christmas, too.

A cheese board is very simple and it can be as big or small as you would like.  I like to serve it on my wood cutting board.  It provides a stable surface and also a place where cheese can be cut without damaging anything.  Guest will be blown away with the beauty of this entertainment piece and think it was time consuming to prepare.  In reality, it will only take you about 10 minutes. 



Fall Harvest Cheese Board
3-4 different cheeses, whatever flavor you prefer 
2 kinds of dried fruit-cranberries, apricots 
2 kinds of fresh fruit-grapes, apples, or pears (cut up apples and pears) 
2 types of meats-salami and prosciutto 
2 types of hearty crackers 
Fresh nuts-any kind, I prefer pistachios

I like to also serve this cheeseboard with a small bowl, to collect any shells from the nuts.  Make sure that you have cheese knives so guest can serve themselves cheese.  Making sure there is a variety is key to a successful cheese board. 

There is no right or wrong way to arrange the food on the board.  It all comes together beautifully.


This would be a great addition to the Thanksgiving table.  If you are having a late dinner, this would be a great way to entertain your guests while the turkey is cooking.  It could also be added to the buffet and served during the holiday meal.  The options are endless.  One thing I do know is that your guests will the beauty and deliciousness of the cheeseboard and you will love its simplicity.



No comments:

Post a Comment

It is a joy to hear from you. What are your thoughts?