Monday, March 11, 2013

Nothing Like a Good Soup

I really enjoy making a good pot of homemade soup.  I have two "go to" recipes that are so delicious.  Today I am going to share with you the recipe for Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup.  I stumbled upon this recipe a few years ago while watching the Food Network's Ina Garten.  As I watched her prepare the soup, I knew I had to get my hands on the recipe to make it for myself.  I typically make it for my church's "Soup and Sandwich" meeting.  It is a crowd pleaser and can definitely warm you up on a chilly night.  The soup is fairly easy, anyone can make it regardless of one's cooking skills.

I have been making this recipe for a few years now and have tweaked it based on my tastes.  You can substitute my notes in or try the original recipe, which is linked above.

My Changes

Ingredients:
  • 4 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 large onion and 1 small white onion, diced
  • 12 diced peeled baby carrots (the ones already peeled in the plastic bag)
  • 2 tablespoons of minced garlic (from the jar)
  • 7 large ripe tomatoes, chunked
  • 2 teaspoons of sugar
  • 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
  • same amount of basil as original recipe
  • 1 (32oz) box of chicken stock/broth
  • same amount of kosher salt as original recipe
  • same amount of pepper as original recipe
  • 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
Directions:
I follow the directions of the original recipe through the addition of the cream.  Instead of using a food mill, I use a hand held immersion blender.  I then serve the soup straight from the cooking pot or put it in a soup tureen.  If I am taking it to a potlock, I pour it into a crockpot and reheat on the warm or low setting.


 


Happy souping and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is a joy to hear from you. What are your thoughts?